Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sound as Images

     I was having a conversation with a friend a while back, and he happened to bring up the fact that I'm extremely visual in my interpretation of sound as well as my approach to writing music. I guess I've always been aware of this to a certain extent, so it wasn't a surprise. What did surprise me however, was the fact that I've almost taken it for granted and never really embraced it.
     We were actually talking about how creativity and artistry gets passed on from one generation to the next and, in my case, both of my parents are artists in the visual medium (painting, pastels etc.). I guess it makes sense that even though my art has developed in the form of music, it still has a very strong visual context. This also helps me understand why I enjoy some of the music that I do, especially a lot of  the ambient and more noise oriented artists. It leaves more to the imagination and it's a lot more accessible for creating mental landscapes and imagery. All kinds of music evokes different imagery, but there is a big difference when we are actually able to mold those images.
      I have always looked at vocals as being one of the strongest forces in directing visual interpretation due to the presence of words and our associations to them. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, but I do think it can limit how we visually interpret the music. Don't get me wrong here, I'm by no means saying there shouldn't be vocals in any music. In fact, I think it's a wonderful experience to be visually carried by a vocalist. I'm just saying, we can be open to more creative levels of visual interpretation if we want to.
     Challenge yourself the next time you listen to something, be creative and try to interpret what you hear visually. Try starting with something very vocally driven if you've never experienced music this way, really dig into the words and use your imagination. The greatest thing about listening to music this way is, each one of us will create something different even if we are all listening to the same thing. Not only does this allow us to become more intimate with the music, but we are also able to explore our own creative process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment