Thursday, March 3, 2011

What, When, Where, Why and How!!!

     Well, this can be a very complicated approach to music, BUT I can't help going there. Of course we all like different music for different situations. Whether it's spacing out to Tim Hecker, grooving to Dub Trio, having back spasms to Knut, pummeling your way through traffic to Torche or simply enjoying a catfish burrito to Coltrane, we listen to certain kinds of music in certain situations. Yet, most people dismiss the kind of format (MP3, CD, Vinyl, Cassette etc.) they listen to music in and never consider it adding to the experience.
     I know I spend more time in my car listening to music than anywhere else, simply because of commuting to and from school. Luckily, I have a decent stereo and I love sound blasting my way down the highway. When I come home however, my choice listening format is vinyl through headphones. I'm not going to get into the whole digital vs. vinyl debate, but I definitely experience less ear fatigue this way. Vinyl is the "warm fireplace on a cold night" of audio formats, I love it. Of course if I had the ideal living situation I would play music loud at home too, but thats not the case. Probably like the majority of people, I  spend most of my time listening to MP3's. But, when I really want to sit down and enjoy something, out comes the vinyl and the headphones.
     It almost seems like, for the vast majority, low quality MP3's fit the bill, even for me. I just want to encourage people to not be afraid of exploring "obsolete" technology when they take the time to sit down and enjoy an album. I can listen to the same album and, depending on the format, have a different experience each time. Go find your parent's vinyl, dig out old cassettes and hit up a few garage sales, see what you can find. Don't be afraid to be an active listener!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment